"He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. " Philippians 1:6

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Going Back to the Baby Home



Calling her nanny on the phone telling her to come meet her mama!

Hugging her best friend there who is getting adopted, in May, to a family in Colorado



Waiting to get out of here.

I fell in love with this little boy. What a sweet boy!!

Gracie and I took a taxi over to the American ran baby home today to say good-bye to the nannies, her friends and so I could see where she has lived for the past two years. It is clear that the nannies love the children. The accommodations are modest to say the least given the resources that they have. Never gets easier to walk into a room with orphans craving a family's love.

Gracie did fine the first 5 minutes being there. She liked seeing her friends and showing her mama to the nannies. Then she went into complete meltdown mode. The nanny that she used to call mama tried to console her while she was in my arms and Gracie told her she was just a nanny that I was her mommy. Of course that made me feel great, but the nanny horrible. Then the nanny tried to console her more by giving her a lollipop and she pushed it away telling her that her mama gives her lollipops. Gracie was clearly distressed being there so we got up and left almost as quickly as we came. We walked through the area where Gracie's baby home is located to find a taxi to get back home. It was so very poor, so very sad.

Even though our visit was cut short and traumatic for Gracie , I think it was good for Gracie to see that she is mine and will always be with me.

Heartstrings seriously tugged for a variety of reasons today. So hard to see so many suffering. So hard to see so many beautiful children that need mamas and babas to love on them.

So glad Gracie is with me FOREVER!!!


15 comments:

Lori said...

Oh, sweet little cupcake. I hope that your visit to the orphanage gave her some closure. She is obviously already developing quite an attachment to you. Wow, that is such great news!

You are a blogging rock-star, my friend! I love, love, love finding all kinds of new posts from you each day!

Anonymous said...

Just thinking about it makes me cry. Thank you for loving orphans and impoverished people, and thank you for your blog ministries to help bring awareness and encourage prayer and involvement.

Love,
Susan

Sherrie said...

Oh Sally, how heartbreaking!!!! But what a feisty little girl you have there, I LOVE that, she knows where she belongs and she is going to hold on for dear life, that is just so precious, and yet sad for her to feel that she has to protect her place in her mama's arms. The day will come very soon that she will know without a doubt that YOU are her MAMA ( I know she knows that already :-) and always will be!!!!! Bless you and your mama's heart :-).

Annie said...

So sad. I am so thankful she already loves you so so much!

Scrappy quilter said...

Will there be news on the little guy soon....wink, wink?? She is just so precious, my heart does flip flops everytime I see a picture of her and you. Hugs and love

Jean said...

Heartbreaking, for those left behind- That is why I keep doing this plus we couldn't be happier!

What you saw is the reality that we are shielded from- I wish others could see it and maybe it would break their heart for the things that break His...

Difference2This1 said...

Oh...you needed a tissue warning on this post. Prayers for your heart today (and the heart of her nannies) as He keeps breaking your heart for those little ones who break His. God bless, Jennifer

Debbie Sauer said...

The way she reacted sounds so positive as far as her attachment to you. That is something that should make you happy. I am hoping she is calm now and just loving being with you. Blessings

Mom Of Many said...

Oh.My. So very hard. I am so glad you took her though. What a brave little cupcake you have!! I am amazed that she was so clear to tell the {albeit sad} nanny that she wouldn't be needin' her anymore, cause she's got her mama. Very impressed indeed.

Praying for continue strength in all the things to come!! Much love from Colorado - Did I say Colorado? Yes, that would be the same Colorado where her friend is moving too....do I hear a trip in order? Let me just be real loud and clear here girlfriend - I have visited you...you better not be thinkin' that you can scoot into Colorado without seeing me?? Just sayin...Them thar be fightin' words...Just sayin'....and I don't care how big you-know-who is either...just sayin....

Chris said...

wow! she does have her ducks in a row, poor nanny but I can see your head swelling from here!

Stay rested and finish up the journey!

Annie said...

Oh Sallie, our Lizzie had the same reaction when we went to her CWI. I don't think she got much love and attention and she was just terrified that we would leave her there. It was heartbreaking but also good for her. As you said with Gracie, Lizzie knew at that point that she would stay with us forever!! I have loved following along. Your Gracie is just adorable!!! God bless the rest of your journey.

Sarah said...

Oh precious girl, so glad that your mama is FOREVER!

Shelly said...

Wow! Sweet girl loves her Mama and knows where she belongs! Such sadness to see her go through those moments, but such joy in knowing she NEVER has to go back! Thank you for sharing all these precious moments with us!

Nancyh said...

No more sadness forever, Gracie has her forever family and know how safe, wanted and loved she is.
Positive thoughts, prayers & love

Adeye said...

Oh my goodness gracious, sweet friend....poor little hunny. Oh my heart just breaks for her, and you. I know that was not easy. Isn't it just incredible how she has bonded with you? Such a wonderful, wonderful thing. My heart skips a beat when I think about it.