"He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. " Philippians 1:6

Sunday, December 26, 2010

A Little Bit of Downs! (X post)

I finally came clean with my mom about Gracie. You see it is hard enough to tell an 80 year old momma that her daughter is adopting her TENTH child when she was the mother of a mere two girls, so I told myself that I was preserving her aging heart by casually forgetting to mention that Gracie has an extra designer gene.

Well, that was until she brought it up on Christmas. I mean come on isn't Christmas Day when you spill the beans on your family???

Anyhoo, I was at the stove cooking and mom was talking to me as Bryson walked in and face-planted on the floor (he falls often when he walks). I picked him up to give him some loving and then sent him on his way. My mom proceeds to tell me that Bryson is going to be with us for a long time. Honestly, that has NEVER crossed my mind with him, but I guess for her 80 year old eyes she sees him more disabled than I.

Like I said SHE brought it up, so I said in reply, "Well, it is a good thing that we are getting Gracie then so he will have company when they are older. You do know mom that Gracie has Down Syndrome, right?"

WHAT!!!!!!???!!!!

"Oh, mom I thought I told you or you could tell in her photos!" wink wink

"No, you never told me!" Not knowing what else to say she says, "Well, she will be loving and she will be loved in your home."

I told her that Gracie appears to be very high functioning and we plan on her attending the same school as her brothers and sister. I reassured her that Gracie is amazing and perfectly made in the image of our God and we love her just as she is.

Conversation ended, we talk a bit longer and then she goes into the other room with my dad. She gets out Gracie's picture and proceeds to whisper to my dad as Robert overhears, "She has a little bit of Downs!"

Yes, mom Gracie has a little bit of Downs and a HUGE family with ALOT of love waiting for her to come home!!!

6 comments:

Rebekah said...

LOL! I guess its all relative anyway, right? ;0)

I love your love for Gracie, and I LOVE the song on this blog that seems to fit her perfectly!

Karin said...

Glad the cat is out of the bag and you don't have to hold it in anymore. :) Come on, TA!!! :)

Suzie said...

That's pretty funny... Gotta love moms. My mother-in-law told me on Christmas that she loves my "adopted kids just the same". Frankly, I don't think about who's adopted and who's not... The "a" word never really comes up in our family.

TA tomorrow, I think... Thurs at the latest... My prayers have turned to total desperation. Good thing God knows my good intentions or He'd think I was a whiner.

annie said...

Hi ~ new here at this blog... Big Reece's Rainbow fan. Noticed that you are a neighbor (I live in Auburn, CA) and wanted to "meet" you! Gracie sounds like a wonderful little girl, and your mother sounds like a kick! ha ha. I look forward to following your journey here and hope to embark on our own someday soon. God bless you.

Shelly said...

I keep checking back in on you, hoping for some news for you all! TA has got to come soon!

Sarah said...

okay...that's funny!