"He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. " Philippians 1:6

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

No Regrets

Sorry, but yet another mushy hubby and really lucky kid to call papa story! What can I say, but I am head over heels in love with my guy!


A few days ago our lives turned upside down. The same day we were told about Gio's Thalassemia being more severe is the same day we were told by the doctors to get hospice for Robert's terminally ill mother. We have since moved her from two hours away to our home. She needs 24 hour care at this point.

So why am I telling you all this on Gracie's blog? Trust me there is a delightful story behind the pain of the last few days. Remember me telling you about Robert not being ready or open to a child with Down Syndrome in our past adoptions? Clearly that has changed since we are adopting Gracie, but it gets better.


I was a tad overwhelmed with the big changes going on regarding Gio, Bryson's seemingly never ending needs and MIL wondering how on earth can we fit Gracie into all of this right now. I brought it up to my hubby wanting to get his thoughts and truly wanting to take his lead even if he agreed it was too much and we needed to back out of this adoption. As hard as that would be, I was preparing myself for it.


But instead what I got was MY great hubby and father who's heart has not only changed for adopting a child with Down Syndrome but one who is now advocating for her as well. I was weak and he was strong!


My love for him grew tenfold (hard to imagine, I know!) when he told me that once his mom passes that we would have regrets for not adopting Gracie. He told me that he has already started bonding with her and that she is meant to be our daughter. When I reminded him that she has Down Syndrome, his reply was "Yeah, she will probably be our easiest one! She won't need blood transfusions. She won't need us to carry her or need additional surgeries. It doesn't matter to me that she has Down Syndrome."


We will stay the course with adopting Gracie. We will take each day as they come and live with no regrets caring for his mother during her final days and no regrets for NOT adopting Gracie because of it!


Gracie Mae, one day soon you will see just how very much we love you and are willing to stay the course regardless of our adversities right now! You are ours and we are yours!

8 comments:

scrappy quilter said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Robert's mom. Hugs

Tracy said...

Sally,
I cant even begin to describe how inspiring the words you and your husband speak have been to me. You are truly loving, compassionate and caring people who not only speak it, but put it into action. I am blessed to have known you through your blogs.
I too am sorry to hear of Robert's mom. I will say a prayer, and also that the Lord would hold you closely during this time so that you dont lose heart. : )

Karen said...

Praying for you during this stressful time. Rejoicing with you that Gracie is still coming home.

Lori said...

Love that!! I have experienced that so many times with my hubby too. When I am just at the end of my rope and feel overwhelmed by what's on my plate NOW, much less what's to come, he comes along and is so easy going about it all and encourages me and makes things right. I absolutely love having a husband who is so in-tuned with the Lord!! It makes all the difference.

So sorry about Robert's mom.

Nan and Dan said...

so sorry about hubby's mom :( prayers to you all.
hugs!

Sherrie said...

Love, Love, Love this! But sorry that you are going through a tough time facing the loss of your beloved family member.

jenn said...

Sally, Prayers to you and Robert.

Ann said...

I am so sorry about Robert's mother. We had similar questions in our family after our son very suddenly was re-diagnosed with cancer and passed away just weeks before we were to travel for Vu.
I have never regretted our decision. In fact, I don't know how we would have survived such a loss without the joy that Vu added to our lives during that time. God's timing didn't make human sense initially, but in the end, it did. Prayer for you all.